Saturday, July 24, 2010

TrackStar



One of my favorite examples of fighting for something that you really want was my journey of making it onto the varsity team of my high school cross country team. long story short when i joined i wasn't exactly the cream of the crop. i could barely run a lap! the next year all throughout cross country, indoor and outdoor, i slowly gained momentum but was nothing you could write home about. the summer before my senior year, with a little bit of encouragement from my coach mr b, i made it my mission to be on that varsity team. i became OBSESSED with anything that had to do with running. i read runners world, running forums, running blogs, how to run better videos, running guide books, i could go on and on! i went to running camp, i ran everyday no matter what and tracked everything i did. the walls of my room were covered with track related posters. come summer practice i was a tad burned out but surprised my coaches nonetheless with how much i'd improved. and guess what, by the end of cross country season, i was fourth place varsity! even when the coaches had no faith the year before. but i owe it to the 300 miles i ran that summer, and just never giving up for something i wanted so so bad, despite everything that went completely wrong that summer.

moral of the story is that you can indeed get what you want. you just need to prepare and read and try and try again, no matter how much everything sucks. and then you get to revel in all that you gain! those stories are soon to come, i have too many to count. and i know its completely cliche to say try hard and you'll get what you want! but i always look back to these few years when i think i can't get something done, and find confidence in the fact that hey, i actually do have it in me to go after something that i want, so what is stopping me from going at something else?? absolutely nothing!

hope everyone has an amazing night

xo carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment